Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Input and Output rate

Jasa2022
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a Cisco 890 router which is connected on port Fast Ethernet 7 to our main distribution core switch on Gigabit 0/17. Please see the interface F7 results and provide me with your reviews. I think this is a bottleneck and requires an upgrade.

Cisco890#sh int f7
FastEthernet7 is up, line protocol is up
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 255/255, txload 205/255, rxload 208/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input 00:00:01, output never, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 81713000 bits/sec, 10328 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 80451000 bits/sec, 10196 packets/sec
2204818416 packets input, 2370650030 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 404390141 broadcasts (236357208 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
1573064687 packets output, 132128140 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 2 interface resets
753419 unknown protocol drops
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Waiting to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you think this interface is a bottleneck?

Since your 890's interface F7 is "only" 100 Mbps, and many LAN host NICs can do 100 Mbps or better, a 100 Mbps inteface in a transit path, now a days, could be, and possibly is, a bottleneck.

Yet, in your stats, although this interface is showing about a 80% usage, both in and out, for a five minute average, it's also showing no drops.(?)  The latter is a surprise.  Since there are no drops (ignoring the unknown protocol drops - which shouldn't be an issue), interface is not running at 100%, it doesn't really appear to be a bottleneck.  That said, there might be other bottleneck(s) upstream of this router interface.  If so, and in fact if this router's interface isn't the bottleneck, upgrading it will make no difference.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I do not see any packet or output drops. What are you running into exactly ? The link is fairly loaded. The only real option is to get a router with a GigabitEthernet interface, obviously.

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

I can see unknown protocol drops

753419 unknown protocol drops

that is the reason:-DTP which is enabled by default on the switch interfaces and the router doesn't understand DTP.

Thanks,
Jitendra

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you think this interface is a bottleneck?

Since your 890's interface F7 is "only" 100 Mbps, and many LAN host NICs can do 100 Mbps or better, a 100 Mbps inteface in a transit path, now a days, could be, and possibly is, a bottleneck.

Yet, in your stats, although this interface is showing about a 80% usage, both in and out, for a five minute average, it's also showing no drops.(?)  The latter is a surprise.  Since there are no drops (ignoring the unknown protocol drops - which shouldn't be an issue), interface is not running at 100%, it doesn't really appear to be a bottleneck.  That said, there might be other bottleneck(s) upstream of this router interface.  If so, and in fact if this router's interface isn't the bottleneck, upgrading it will make no difference.

Hi Joseph,

I really appreciate your review and response. It helped me understand more about the interface information.

Thanks,

BTW, if your using the Ethernet ports on the 890 for LAN switching, and your hosts are directly connected to it, running their Ethernet interfaces at 100 Mbps, if they have gig capable NICs, then upgrading to a small gig standalone switch may very much improve transfer rate between hosts connected to it.

Also, if your hosts are all connected at 100 Mbps, 80% constant usage average would be in the ballpark for a host sending as quickly as it can to another, but unless you have more than one host sending to another host (all with ports of the same speed), you won't see drops in the router as the sending host cannot, physically, overrun the egress router interface.

In other words, the router isn't a bottleneck in the sense itself is not being adverse to data transfer rate between hosts.

Picture two hosts with a single 100 Mbps link between them.  Insert a switch or router into that link, still using 100 Mbps, the switch or router, itself, doesn't cause any additional bottleneck beyond what the link alone provided.  Yet, if you want to go "faster" than 100 Mbps, you would need "faster" host NICs and possibly "better" Ethernet cable (and if there was a switch or router in-line, when you upgrade the link wires to gig, it would be a bottleneck, itself, if it too can not support that rate).  If the somewhat subtle distinction isn't clear, please let me know.  But again, think of a wire without any switch or router in-line vs. one in-line, and then consider, is the in-line switch or router creating a bottleneck not already there from the wire alone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card