Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Define Interface Range Command - Multiple Ports

With the "define interface range" command is there a way to include more than 8 individual ports? A lot of times I have devices that need to be on the same vlan on all odd numbered ports of a switch so was hoping there was a way to add them all to a macro.

8 Replies 8

etoromol
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi McBrown,

Remember this command selects all interfaces within a single slot, for example:

Router(config-if)# interface range fastethernet 5/1 - 5

In this example, slot 5 has only 5 interfaces available.

Now if you are looking to add more interfaces from a different slot, you can use the command below:

Router(config-if)# interface range fastethernet 5/1 - 5 , gigabitethernet 1/1 - 2
Router(config-if)# no shutdown

I hope this information help you with the configuration you are looking. In case it does not, please share with me an example to have a better understanding.

Regards,
Eduardo

Problem is none of the interfaces I need are in sequential order. 

For example I would need the following:

int range g1/0/1,g1/0/3,g1/0/5,g1/0/7,g1/0/9,g1/0/11,g1/0/13,g1/0/15,g1/0/17,g1/0/19

We have our racks setup with 24 port patch on the top and then 48 port switch in the middle and then 24 port patch on the bottom with the top patch connected to the odds on the switch and the bottom connected into the evens of the switch.  

I tried this 

int range g1/0/1,g1/0/3,g1/0/5,g1/0/7,g1/0/9,g1/0/11,g1/0/13,g1/0/15

on a 3850 and it works. Only up to 1/0/15

HTH

Right. You can only select 8 individual interfaces at a time.  What I was hoping for was a way to add more than 8 individual interfaces to a range macro so when I need to make a change to all the even or odd interfaces I would just have to reference the macro.    

No way to do more than 8 interfaces?

Hi Mcbrown,

Based on the feedback of Reza, it seems we are facing a feature limitation, although your case seems really important and I would be happy to take this into the next level.

Tomorrow, I will engage my peers from the Enterprise team just to make sure there is no workaround that we can implement. If that is the case, I will fill a new software defect but on this case, as a software enhancement so we may not correct the situation now, but surely in the future we will keep in consideration the scenario you have disclosed and address the situation.

Please bear with me within the next days while I complete these tasks.

Thank you.
Eduardo

Hi MacBrown. could you please let me know which IOS code and platform are you using?

etoromol,

We are running CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 16.9.3a 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card