cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP on ASA in packet tracer

robbo79871
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i was wondering how to go about creating a DHCP server in packet tracer or can it be done? I'm saying this because i have configured one and the DHCP requests have worked, but on vital missing part is the inability to configure a default gateway or default router for the addresses. I have therefore found myself using static addresses.

Can it be done by using a server in packet tracer and then configuring it as a DHCP server instead to avoid the ASA?

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm confused by your question.

Packet tracer simulates a packet through the ASA.  It has nothing to do with DHCP, default gateways, or allocating IP addresses.

If you are missing a default gateway in your DHCP server then you need to configure that on your DHCP server.

Hello,

Go to "End devices", then choose "Generic"  and drag it into the working area(I think it is the 3rd one). Double click on it and go to the "sevices" tab. On services TAB, you will see DHCP section on the left. You can configure your DHCP pool there.

Hope it helps,

Masoud

Hi

I have configured DHCP servers on routers, L3 switches and using the server option in packet tracer also but i cant see a way to link the asa to the DHCP server in packe tracer. What would you use in order for the ASA to send DHCP requests to the DHCP server, there is no DHCP relay option in packet tracer and on the ASA you can configure a pool but it wont let you configure a default gateway as well as far as i can see.

Thanks for the reply

Hello,

DHCP relay is not supported on ASA in packet tracer. In order to do that, you need to switch to GNS.

masoud

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card