Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

from router to layer 3 switch.

Hi All

Question I plan to remove my router and just work with my layer 3 switch, can I move my  router config to my  layer 3 switch config?

any sugestions

thanks guys

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Juan,

It depends very much on which services you are using on your router. For example, most multilayer switches do not support NAT or IP Inspect. Also, the configuration is slightly different, depending on the interfaces used. Multilayer switches usually assign IP addresses to SVIs (Switched Virtual Interfaces - interface Vlan X instead of physical interfaces) and also they need some preliminary configuration to enable IP routing (activating the ip routing command; selecting a proper SDM template to partition the TCAM appropriately so that there is a space reserved for IP prefixes). There may be also another issues stemming mostly from the different IOS version currently available for ISR routers and for multilayer switches.

To sum it up, most of the configuration is identical but a general answer cannot be given - it really depends on what services you have been using on the router.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks So much Peter

is very helpfull your comment

enjoy the holidays

JC

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

If your router has interfaces other than ethernet you definitely cannot move

your configuration to a layer 3 switch.

You will have to modify the configuration significantly to make the transition. You cannot cut and paste it in. I am sure you already knew that.

Im just running the router  from a fastethernet but I guess like you say, is not a copy and paste deal

thanks men

happy holidays

JC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card