Views
Helpful
Replies

how to configure trunk promiscuous?

jmp780718
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys.

how to configure trunk promiscuous?; i have and access switch connected to a core switch and them to a third party Firewall by an trunk interfaces. I need to have a promiscuous to CORE?; The trunk port to the firewall needs to be a trunk promiscuous?

Thank you.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The only way I see is to dedicate a standalone port both on the 6500 switch and on the firewall for the Private VLAN, and configure the corresponding port on the switch as a promisc port (not a promisc trunk - just a promisc port without any tagging). Neither 3750-X nor 6500 support promisc trunk ports so this is not an option for you.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you talking about Private VLANs? If you are not using Private VLANs then you do not need the promisc trunk. In addition, promiscuous trunks are supported only on Catalyst 4500 to my best knowledge. No other Catalyst switch has a support for promisc trunks. Do you have such hardware available?

Best regards,
Peter

Yes, is about private vlan; my access switch is a 3750X stacking, my core switch is 6500 and the third party Firewall  will be an juniper. How i can send the private vlan from the access switch to the Core and to the core to the firewall?.

Hi,

The only way I see is to dedicate a standalone port both on the 6500 switch and on the firewall for the Private VLAN, and configure the corresponding port on the switch as a promisc port (not a promisc trunk - just a promisc port without any tagging). Neither 3750-X nor 6500 support promisc trunk ports so this is not an option for you.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card