Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find the routed interface / SVI

smk391
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

New to this group and getting back into networking after a few years in telecoms

I know this is a basic question but would like to know the best way to tackle the following.

I have a L2 switch on my network.  I trying to ' feel ' my way around it,  I know to get of this local L2 subnet the device is going to broadcast for its default gateway.

My question, how do I know where that default gateway is?  There are many switches connected switches & I dont know what the ip address of the SVI is ?  Some config's it ends in .254 and other it's .1.  Is there a command which would at least tell me that the SVI is found of X interface or it is this IP address? 

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, if the SVIs exist on the same switch, you can find it by issuing this command:

show run int vlan xx

xx is whatever vlan you are looking for.

You can also see the same SVI by using this command

"show ip int brie vlan xx"

HTH

Hi

The default gateway must be configured under the interface of a Layer 3 device, like a router or multilayer switch, if you have a proper network model, the gateways should be configured on the distribution or core layer. 

Usually every network should be adjusted to .1 or .254 but is not recommended to have different gateways. it will avoid human errors in a future. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card