Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 3200

TijiAbraham
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We need to configure a SIP Explosion Proof telephone (Gaitronics A4 SIP Ex Proof Tel) at site and connect it using the IE 3200 switch.
Question,

Could you confirm if PoE can be provided as per 802.3af Mode B for this switch?? 

The switch model is IE-3200-8P2S-E with PWR-IE65W-PC-AC=

Additional Info:

We  tried the connectivity  of the phone to the pbx system through an Enterasys C5 switch (or maybe C3 switch) at our site office for testing purpose. 
We found issue with POE type supported by the phones. The POE type supported with these phones are 802.3af Mode B only
The Enterasys Switch is with POE type “802.3af Mode A”, which will supply POE over data cables (1,2 & 3,6).
So we had to use an external power supply to test the phone. Would i need an external adapter if using the Cisco IE 3200 as well? i do notice the datasheet mentions support of 802.3at which means Mode A and mode B would be supported.

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

please look at Cisco Catalyst IE3x00 Rugged Series Switch Hardware Installation Guide

that says: Note: Connector pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 are used for PoE.

and from another post:

I believe the 802.3af standard actually allows both pinout configurations.They are known as Mode A and Mode B.  Mode A uses the data pairs while Mode B uses the "spare" pairs. I have always been under the impression that Mode A would be what one would find on devices that terminate a connection. For example, a Cisco Catalyst switch that provides 802.3af power will use the Data Tx/Rx pairs (pins 1,2,3,6).  Further, my belief is that Mode B would be used by "mid-span" devices that insert power. For example, in-line power patch panels or in-line power injectors.  These panels use the "spare" pairs to carry DC power (pins 4,5,7,8).

The equipment that provides the power (i.e. the power sourcing equipment) determines which Mode (i.e. pins) is used. The powered device that is 802.3af compliant must be capable of supporting both modes.

HTH.

regards,

Pieter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card