cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Initial config of home lab

leo.hughes181
Level 1
Level 1

Hi im new here, I bought some old used switches and routers and made a home lab. I wanted to know if i need to console into each device for initial config or if I can config my first device config the rest through the first device. I consoled into a 2950 switch. I just want to know if i need to console into each device whenever i make changes and such. Any tips or advice would be appreciated

I have 

2 x 2950 switch

1 x 3550 Switch

3 x 2811 Routers

1 x 2520 router

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo,

you will have to console into each device separately to initially set everything up. Once your devices are connected, you can log in to and make changes from any device.

Nice home lab and equipment, good luck with everything.

View solution in original post

Hello Leo,

indeed. The lines you need to configure are the VTY lines, visible at the bottom of the configuration. A basic configuration that would allow all protocols including telnet and ssh would look like this:

R1(config)# line vty 0 15

R1(config-line)# password mypassword

R1(config-line)# login local

R1(config-line)#transport input all

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo,

you will have to console into each device separately to initially set everything up. Once your devices are connected, you can log in to and make changes from any device.

Nice home lab and equipment, good luck with everything.

Thanks for that. So i would just initially configure each device, Do I use telnet/ SSH to manage the devices after? Do I need to setup particular configurations to the interfaces to allow for that type of management? Thanks again

Hello Leo,

indeed. The lines you need to configure are the VTY lines, visible at the bottom of the configuration. A basic configuration that would allow all protocols including telnet and ssh would look like this:

R1(config)# line vty 0 15

R1(config-line)# password mypassword

R1(config-line)# login local

R1(config-line)#transport input all

Thanks for the help the first two have been configured and it seems to be working. I really appreciate the help, I'll finish the other devices when i get back into town again. Thanks again

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card