Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF custom route

FranckL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have differents sites with 2 links between them and central site.

Routers are connected via L2 links with OSPF routing, but they don't have the same bandwith.

Perhaps, I wouldlike to pass a network in one link and the rest of traffic on the other link.

I tried with Policy-Based-Routing but If one link is down the traffic didn't route on the other link.

I searched but I didn't find what I want to do, so I post a new discussion.

Regards,

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

PBR is really the way to go here , did you set the next hop ip in the route-map and match it against an acl for those specific subnets , are you saying if the link is down meaning if it fails your route-map doesnt revert to the other working link it keeps sending traffic to the down link ?

If that's the case you could try use ip sla verify reachability with your route-map so it checks is the upstream route available to send to before it does

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/861-cisco-router-pbr-ipsla-auto-redirect.html

Hi Joseph and Mark,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I will try PBR with IP SLA.

I'll post if the solution works fine.

Regards,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It should be possible to configure PBR to deal with a link failure, but it does make PBR configuration even a bit more complex.

Are your two links close in bandwidth?  If so, it might be easier to make them appear equal to OSPF and let it route across both of them equally.

If some traffic is more "important" then other traffic, and this is a reason for using PBR, you might meet the same goals using OSPF ECMP with QoS.

If the two links are very dissimilar in bandwidth, PfR might be a better option than PBR.  PfR can also be used with QoS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card