cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Uploading New IOS into 4500X Switch

troypayne1
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I worked with a systems integrator who helped prep six 4500X switches into VSS pairs, and had showed me how to configure these devices and install them into my distribution layer, layer-2 only.  Now I have another of 4500X switches that I would like to build into a VSS pair and add to the distribution layer.  As I have tried to install a new O/S onto these switches as done before, the switches act as though the O/S is stored into the bootflash: area, but when doing a DIR on that area the new O/S does not show up.  In the startup configuration file we use the BOOT command to choose the O/S to load.  But when this executes, there is an error stating that the specified O/S cannot be found, and the system defaults to the only O/S shown in the bootflash:. If I try to reinstall the O/S to the bootflash: area, the system asks if I want to overwrite, as if it knows those are already there, but simply does not display them.  I did a little reading in the Cisco configuration manual about the initial set up the switches and got into ROMMON, but was not able to effect any meaningful changes.  The other three pair of 4500X switches in my environment are running O/S version 3.06 and working well.  One of the remaining switches has version 3.04 in bootflash:, and the other has version 3.07.  I would like to ensure that all switches are running 3.06, and then plan to upgrade to the latest version at the end of the year in all eight switches.

Please let me know if you have any idea what I can do to make the new switches load and run the new O/S.

Thanks,

james.bray@conti-na.com

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

1.  dir; 

2.  sh bootvar; and 

3.  [If the appliances are in VSS] sh red summary

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

This may not work. But you can try the below.

1)Change the IOS name to something than the original and try uploading and booting.

Reason: I have similar Issue with ACS. I checked around and one of the way is to just change the file name and upload again.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card