Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Core & Access switch

moh123321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of selecting a number of core and access switches in our new building,

Could you pls help me on selecting the proper model based on attached specification?

Regarding the core switches redundancy, is it suppose to be 1 to 1 or it can be 2 to 2 or more ?

Thanks

20 Replies 20

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, by looking at the specs you may need:

x2 6513's for the core with SUP720-3B or above e.g. SUP2T

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheets_list.html

For the access layer it very much sounds like:

3750x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/product_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12686/index.html

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Many Thanks Bilal for you quick reply, two comments pls :

- Technically the difrence between 3750 and the X model

- regarding the core switch, is the redundent has to be 1 to 1 or can be 2 to 2 or 3 to 3?

Thanks

Hi Mohammed,

3750E vs 3750X

When it comes to the Cisco 3750E vs 3750X, The X offers what Cisco is calling StackPower, the ability to share power loads between multiple switches.  This is a beneficial feature when it comes to PoE+.  StackPower allows up to four members of the same StackWise group to combine their power supplies into one large virtual power supply.  It also allows some of the power supplies to be taken offline, increasing efficiency.

For building out small to medium offices these two features are quite valuable.  Start with one switch and add on with little to no disruption, while only using the power needed.

Also chck:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2062393

2-

- regarding the core switch, is the redundent has to be 1 to 1 or can be 2 to 2 or 3 to 3?

2-2 should be okay with redundance supervisor modules on the same.(As this will provide you the perfect load balancing on the hardware an software end.)

HTH

Regards

Inayath

It is all about the spec. I sent ( attached), I mean, it is like a minimum standard I'm expecting from the supplier,

Regarding your recommendition for the core switches ( x2 6513 with two SUP each (full resilience) and based on the contract , am I eligible for or just one SUP for each .

Regarding the Access switches, is the 3750 V2 is complying with the spec. or we should go for higher...if the spec. or the contract allow for.

The X model gives you 64gbps backplane and the normal 3750 gives you 32gbps. Thats probably a big difference.

There are other small things like 'stackpower' that is availabe in the 3750x model where you have redundant power to 4 switches. This model also has redundant power modules so this is a benefit. The x-series can scale to some 10gb interfaces with additional modules too.

With the Core switch you can have

• x2 6513's with one SUP each
  • x2 6513 with two SUP each (full resilience)
  • x1 6513 with two SUP

I would recommend the option 2 here because just in case of a chassis failure. Its the most resilient.

If I was planning for a network like this I would go for:

x2 6513 with two SUP each (full resilience) CORE

WS-C3750X-48PF-E ACCESS

This gives me 2 chassis which are fully resilient 2SUPs each, and an access switch that has x48 PoE and is capable of 10/100/1000 access ports - and 1Gb/10Gb uplinks (SFP) Having said this I would definitely take a look at the 3850's which are more future proof in that it it scales to 480GBPS of stack throughput.

But then again you might think this is overkill.

For further technical info, please see the datasheets on the links provided. You need to be sure about which line cards you want in your 6500 chassis too!

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

3850 Datasheet

I wouldn't be considering 3750X anymore.  I'd go for 3850.

Look at it this way:  The PRICE for a 3750X and a 3850 are the same.  The 3850 has a higher backplane and can support up to four 10 Gbps.

Another thing:  Redundant load-sharing cooling fans?  Really? 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you specify WHEN is your timeline like?  This is very relevant to what you are about to do.

Just out of interest, what is the difference in price? I might want to get them in myself :-)

Just out of interest, what is the difference in price?

The prices for both models are exactly the same.  The switch BU has been adviced to aggressively sell the 3850.  Now, if you can read-between-the-line ...

Another thing, current 3850 IOS will only support 4 switches in a stack.  In the next few months, a new IOS release will allow up to 9 switches in a stack.

Go for it, Bilal.  3850 will be the next-best-thing.

Keep an eye out in the Switches arena (in the next few months).  Something mighty big is coming. 

Pls note Bilal my comment

It is all about the spec. which I sent ( attached), I mean, it is like a minimum standard I'm expecting from the supplier,

Regarding your recommendition for the core switches ( x2 6513 with two SUP each (full resilience) and based on the contract , am I eligible for or just one SUP for each  or two for each?

Regarding the Access switches, is the 3750 V2 is complying with the spec. or we should go for higher...if the spec. or the contract allow for.

You WILL NOT be able to purchase 3750V2. It's already end-of-sale.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

I suggest not even considering the the 3750's. As Leo mentioned, Cisco are pushing the 3850's quite a bit, and to be honest its worth it considering what is on offer here.

With regards to the Core and just by reading the requirements, I'd stick with 2 chassis and 2 SUPs each.

It says:

1. Each switch shall have the following minimum specifications:

c. Shall be configured with redundant supervisory modules

This means Each switch should have two redundant SUPs.

There are other IMPORTANT requirements for the chassis.

Things like the line cards that you need to provision. It requires 24 port Gb E fibre modules fully populated with 1000Base-SX. It also requires a 48 port 10/100/1000 Base-TX module.

It also requires a hardware based stateful firewall services module (I think some may be coming end of life) But you want to take a look at the FWSM.

Another request was for IDS module. Also an ACE Load Balance module.

There are many many things that need to be considered here! These are just only a few of what you might need:

I don't have enough knowledge on sales to be able to tell you which exact modules you should go for.

Quite a lot of these products are going end of sale and end of life, so perhaps a Cisco representative can advise more than I can.

You can go to Cisco Commerce to find prices and various different modules yourself here:

https://cisco-apps.cisco.com/cisco/psn/commerce

Give your requirements to your Cisco Account Manager/Partner/Supplier and they will give you a quote on exactly what you need.

I tried the link

https://cisco-apps.cisco.com/cisco/psn/commerce

And it gives me access denied message, any comment ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card