cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing protocol between two 7K's

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a reason/benefit to run two routing protocols between 7K's such as iBGP and OSPF?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know enough about your environment to provide a good answer. We can say that if you are running BGP for external connectivity then it frequently is good to run a protocol like OSPF as the Interior routing protocol.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Richard that is what I am normally used to i.e; running eBGP externally and OSPF internally.  However in my scenario now there are two 7K's and they have a peer link with each other.  On that not only OSPF is running but also iBGP.  So I am trying to understand what would be the benefit of running two routing protocols between 7K's I have always seen OSPF normally.

You mention running IBGP on the link between peers but have not told us if there is any other BGP running on other interfaces. If there is BGP on other interfaces then IBGP between the peer 7Ks would make good sense.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the response and apologies for the late reply.  Here is the BGP config if it helps:

router bgp 65001
  timers bgp 5 15
  address-family ipv4 unicast
    redistribute direct route-map BGP
    redistribute static route-map BGP
    redistribute ospf 1 route-map BGP
    redistribute ospf 5 route-map BGP
  neighbor 10.10.10.2 remote-as 65501
  neighbor 10.20.20.2 remote-as 65002
      soft-reconfiguration inbound
  neighbor 10.30.30.2 remote-as 65003
  neighbor 10.1.1.2 remote-as 65001

I don't understand why there is iBGP as well as OSPF no the vpc peer link what is the benefit I mean.

The reason for IBGP is that you have two routers running EBGP. The two routers are in AS65001 and have neighbors in other AS (which is what makes it EBGP - at least one neighbor is in a different AS). When two routers in the same AS (65001) are running EBGP then you need to run IBGP between these routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card