cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree?

kberry701
Level 1
Level 1

Working with HP C7000 blade enclosure that has (2) Cisco CS3020 switches in it, connected to each other for redundancy.

Each switch has an etherchannel uplink to a SINGLE HP Switch for storage traffic, which then carries storage traffic to a NAS device. This is all on VLAN 90.

Each switch also has an etherchannel uplink to a SINGLE HP Switch for normal network traffic, on VLAN 2, 3, & 100.

All this does is seperate regular network traffic from storage traffic.

This is done for VM purposes. BL465 are in the enclosure serving as ESX Hosts for numerous VM's.

Pic got chopped some. Those horizontal links from HP SW2, each goto Cisco SW1 or CiscoSW2, each using port 24.

Storage Network.jpg

Anyone have any advice on this? Currently, PVST is on Cisco, and RSTP on HP's. HP SW2 will block either port 19 or 20 properly. However, Both Cisco SW1 & CW2 are each functionally moving traffic, and I would expect them to be redundant and they are both up/up. AND, also, The HP SW1 root is up/up on both etherchannel/LACP links FROM each Cisco....obviously there are multiple loops here.  Any ideas how to remedy this? 

I'm about to pull my hair out.......and worse yet......no one wants to touch this.....I have offered the job to several people, but they don't want it due to multi-vendor implementation.

HELP!

1 Reply 1

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

If you are runnint PVST and RSTP then each instance will have its own root.  I encountered issues in my network I just changed everything to RSTP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card