Views
Helpful
Replies

transmit error in 2621 router

leungalx
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I got the following errors from my cisco 2621 router - the network connection between our ISP and our router suddenly unstable and have packet lost. But after router reload, the problem will be resolved.

This error message does not show up from time to time but today it happen again. Last time this problem happened, i had checked with ISP engineer to make sure "Duplex & Speed" are the same between our router and their network switch.

From Cisco website, the problem explanation is "Possible causes are usually incorrect cabling or a non-compliant number of hubs in the network. Bad network interface cards (NICs) can also cause late collisions". I personally don't think this is the problem, so any other reason ? E.g. IOS version not stable ?

router>sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(3)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 15-Apr-99 15:41 by kpma

Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80693A88

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

hkcyberu uptime is 6 hours, 9 minutes

System restarted by reload at 10:23:34 HKT Fri Apr 29 2005

System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.120-3.T3"

cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x102) with 24576K/8192K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD04420INF (3795023180)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Error message:

"%AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: FastEthernet0/1 transmit error" & "%AMDP2_FE-3-UNDERFLO: FastEthernet0/1 transmit error

Alex Leung

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Although not impossible, I do not think it is likely that this issue is IOS related. I would really trust on the message and check / replace cabling and equipment first.

For the rest, you do have a fairly old release and it is a T-release also. I personally do not like them a lot. The 12.0 mainline is much more stable and I would advise you to upgrade to something like 12.0(24) or later anyway. These are General Deployment releases. I assume that the ip base feature set will be sufficient for you. You may upgrade the router first and then check cables etc but I don't think it's related.

Regards,

Leo

Hello Alex,

just to make sure: when you say that you have checked speed and duplex settings on both sides, does that mean that both sides are set to fixed full duplex and speed settings (no autonegotiate) ?

As for the UNDERFLO error message, this is what CCO says:

Error Message

%AMDP2_FE-3-UNDERFLO: AMDP2/FE([dec]/[dec]), Transmit underflow

Explanation While transmitting a frame, the controller chip's local buffer received insufficient data because data could not be transferred to the chip fast enough to keep pace with its output rate. Normally, such a problem is temporary, depending on transient peak loads within the system.

Recommended Action The system should recover. No action is required.

Regards,

GP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card