cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN for iSCSI question

dan.tesch
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to design a replication network for an EqualLogic SAN. I've been told the EQL box doesn't support VLAN tagging but I'd like to use a VLAN in this design. My question is will a switch tag packets or does the device need to do it and support it? Specifically, I'm wondering if packets leaving the storage device that need to route to a different network over a VPN will receive a tag from the switch on the storage network and be honored by the devices in between and then end up on the storage network on the other side of the VPN and ultimately replicated to the slave storage unit?

Devices in between are a PIX and a 2801 router, 2960 on the PIX end and a Dell storage switch on the 2801 end. Some VLAN's for wireless are already configured and I'm confident I can handle the routing over the VPN - just don't know how the storage boxes will play in this scenario without support for tagging.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

By VLAN tagging I assume you mean 802.1Q trunking, right?

If that's a correct assumption, then your EQL box only need support for it in the case that it itself shall handle more than one VLAN out the same physical interface.

I believe that what you need is an access port in your LAN switch. This access port will be assigned the VLAN number for which you want your iSCSI to run, and this VLAN information is not needed for the EQL box - it just sends out the IP packets thorugh it's ethernet port and then your switch does the rest.

I hope I have understood your question correct and that my answer makes sense :-)

HTH.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

By VLAN tagging I assume you mean 802.1Q trunking, right?

If that's a correct assumption, then your EQL box only need support for it in the case that it itself shall handle more than one VLAN out the same physical interface.

I believe that what you need is an access port in your LAN switch. This access port will be assigned the VLAN number for which you want your iSCSI to run, and this VLAN information is not needed for the EQL box - it just sends out the IP packets thorugh it's ethernet port and then your switch does the rest.

I hope I have understood your question correct and that my answer makes sense :-)

HTH.

Yes, 802.1Q trunking.

Thanks, it does make sense.

Is it then accurate to say that in this case the switch is providing 'active' tagging and the device is 'passively' ignoring the tags?

Based on your info it sounds like my design will work - thanks, I wasn't finding much helpful info via usual Google searches.

Actually, the tagging is on the 802.1Q interfaces. The switch strips off the tags before sending traffic out the access port, so whatever you connect to an access port is not and does not need to be aware of tagging.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card