Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP client switch not receiving VLAN names from server

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a VTP client switch that is not receiving the VLAN names fromt the server switch, all the VLAN ID's are coming across fine and I can assgn ports to these vlans, any ideas?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Hi Andy,

from a sh vtp status you should see if the domain names match. Remember to care about the authentication too. Technically, even if you did not configured any password, the authentication process occurs in any case. Making sure to match the domain names and the authentication is the first step. After that make sure how the VTP pruning is configured on your network.

HTH

Alessio

Thanks, I checked all of that, but still no luck, I don't understand how the VLAN ID can come over but not the names?

Thanks

Hi Andy,

force an update and it whould be fine again. An update can be just on the switch server VTP:

vlan data

vlan 200! rather than 200 use a vlan number that you have not in your database

no vlan 200

exit

I assume you specified VTP mode client on your VTP client

If you can/want to share the show vtp status config of the devices where you have this issue maybe i can help more. Force an update by now.

Alessio

Hmm simply deleted the VLAN.dat from the flash and now all is working.

Thanks for all your help.

well ,

so this time you have to be rated....

five points from me!!!

Alessio

Many thanks!  I never get points, this has made my day!

Have a wonderful day.

and you too!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card