cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between ip default-network and ip route command.

emora6001
Level 1
Level 1

Good,

I need to know what is the difference between the ip default-network and ip route command and when it would be recommended to use one or the other.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

GIthis is a good answer. Unfortunately the question it answers is not the question asked in the original post. That post asked about default network and you answered about default gateway. HTH Rick

Thanks Rick for pointing out ..My subconscious mind directly jump to default gateway command .:).

To the original Poster

ip default-network when ip routing is enabled on the Cisco router. When you configure ip default-network the router considers routes to that network for installation as the gateway of last resort on the router.

With Ip route command you can create a static route to network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is another way to set the gateway of last resort on a router.

As with the ip default-network command, using the static route to 0.0.0.0 is not dependent on any routing protocols. However, ip routing must be enabled on the router.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Have a look at this doc:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/routing-information-protocol-rip/16448-default.html

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good,I need to know what is the difference between the ip default-network and ip route command and when it would be recommended to use one or the other.Regards,

Hi,

ip default gateway is only used when the switch is in L2 and you can use ip route or default-network at L3 devices with ip routing enabled.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

GI

this is a good answer. Unfortunately the question it answers is not the question asked in the original post. That post asked about default network and you answered about default gateway. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

GIthis is a good answer. Unfortunately the question it answers is not the question asked in the original post. That post asked about default network and you answered about default gateway. HTH Rick

Thanks Rick for pointing out ..My subconscious mind directly jump to default gateway command .:).

To the original Poster

ip default-network when ip routing is enabled on the Cisco router. When you configure ip default-network the router considers routes to that network for installation as the gateway of last resort on the router.

With Ip route command you can create a static route to network 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is another way to set the gateway of last resort on a router.

As with the ip default-network command, using the static route to 0.0.0.0 is not dependent on any routing protocols. However, ip routing must be enabled on the router.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

GI

Yes your mind went directly to what seemed the obvious question, and default gateway is used much more frequently than default network. I sympathize with this and have made the same mistake myself (many times I am afraid). Your revised answer  is a very good explanation of default network and its relationship to ip route. +5 to you for this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Ganesh and dear all,

I am fighting over the weeks to configure the ip default-network, but failed. I took several routers with different versions, but same result. Could you please help me why the configured network does not work.

Attached you are getting a screenshot of my topology, where you will see all the configuration & test I took.

I would be thankful to your feedback.

Regards

Motiar Rahman

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card