Helpful
Replies

Monarchs

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yawming_0-1698952786599.png

Photo By/Credit: Thomas Dunkerton/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

You may have seen the beautiful monarch butterfly in your neighborhood. I believe I've seen it, but never really paid attention until last weekend.

Last weekend, I visited a friend's house located near the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary  and we decided to explore it. While there, I learned that the delicate wings of these butterflies are incredibly resilient. In fact, monarchs can migrate remarkably from Canada all the way to California and Mexico for the winter, much like Canadian geese. Specifically, monarchs west of the Rocky Mountains head to the central California coast, while those east of the Rockies make their way to the high mountains of central Mexico. This journey spans thousands of miles and requires multiple generations to complete.

You might wonder, how do we track them? We've seen on TV that large animals like whales, dolphins, bears, and birds can be tagged, but butterflies are so tiny and fragile. Astonishingly, they can be tagged too. Some scientists have even managed to place electronic tags weighing only 0.007 ounces on their wings.

Apart from tagging, scientists employ other methods to track them, such as satellite and radar, genetic analysis, photographic evidence, and habitat monitoring.

Communities and scientists have been monitoring monarch populations for over 20 years and have noticed a decline in their numbers. This decrease can be attributed to habitat loss, pesticide use, climate change, loss of overwintering sites, illegal logging, and more.

Monarchs play a crucial role as pollinators. While they are not specialized pollinators for specific plant species like some bees and other insects, their contribution is invaluable. Their long-distance travels allow them to spread genetic material across vast areas, enriching the genetic diversity of plant populations. In general, pollinator populations in the US are on the decline. We can take steps to keep their numbers and overall health. Actions include planting a pollinator garden, reducing or eliminating pesticide use, supporting local beekeepers by purchasing local honey, promoting organic agriculture, and interestingly, allowing some weeds, like dandelions and clover, to grow. These plants can benefit pollinators, especially in early spring when few other plants are in bloom.

Is the monarch butterfly federally protected now? The answer is no. However, there's a concept called the "butterfly effect." The decline in pollinator populations is a reality, and we cannot overlook any factor contributing to it.

1 Reply 1

Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very informative. Thank you.