cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

This Week in Tech: History

Ken W. Alger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I enjoy learning about technology. From the latest information about generative AI to new hardware releases, I find it fascinating to see where we, as a society, have come. While there are undoubtedly things to call out that have happened in the technology world this week, some significant historical events have taken place this week that are interesting.

• 14 December 1902 - The laying of the first Transpacific telegraph cable begins. The 2,227-mile cable from San Francisco, California, to Honolulu, Hawaii was laid by the cable ship Silvertown and reached Honolulu on 1 January 2023.
  • 13 December 1962 - The Relay I communication satellite was launched.
  • 9 December 1968 - The first computer mouse is demonstrated along with hypertext and video conferencing by a team of researchers led by Douglas Englebart.
  • 12 December 1980 - Apple Computer, Inc. (now Apple Inc.) released its first IPO, making millionaires out of the early investors.
  • 9 December 1987 - Windows 2.0 is released and introduced overlapping windows, along with window minimizing and maximizing.
  • 11 December 2008 - Google releases their Chrome browser.

While other notable events happened This Week in Tech, those are some of the ones I found particularly interesting.

0 Replies 0