cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BrowserBot not detected on Enterprise agent

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

So, I've deployed a few ThousandEyes Enterprise agents over the last few weeks, mostly just as Linux packages on Ubuntu 20 VMs, but a few Appliances as well.  Everything works as expected, except one oddity.  On one of the Appliances, BrowserBot is not detected.  However, it is enabled, and the CLI even reports a good status:

thousandeyes@te-agent-01:~$ sudo systemctl status te-browserbot
● te-browserbot.service - ThousandEyes BrowserBot
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/te-browserbot.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2023-09-06 23:13:01 UTC; 8min ago
Main PID: 730 (te-browserbot)
Tasks: 7 (limit: 2319)
Memory: 12.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/te-browserbot.service
└─730 /usr/local/bin/te-browserbot --install --daemon

Sep 06 23:13:01 te-agent-01 systemd[1]: Started ThousandEyes BrowserBot.

I had a session with support this morning and as a troubleshooting step, we tried to disable, reboot, and re-enable BrowserBot.  Oddly, it showed it getting 'stuck' when trying to disable BrowserBot:

te-bb-stuck.png

The advice of support was to re-build the virtual appliance.  While this is possible, VM builds are done manually by another team and realistically takes 2-3 weeks to complete, and that's assuming it's done correctly the first time.

Are there any final steps I could take to try and get BrowserBot fully working on this appliance?  All the tests being performed by this agent work without issue, but I can't add it to any Page Load tests.  

2 Replies 2

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

FWIW, I tried a BrowserBot disable/re-enable on a working Appliance running the exact same image.  The logs were exactly the same as the broken one, except for this one line showing up on the working agent:

time="2023-09-06T18:51:36Z" level=info msg="Dual container is supported: false. Latest version: ."

Of course, I have no idea what this message means.  Just thought I'd share.

abfentan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @johnnylingo , what a headache this has been for you! Because the resolution steps of this particular error can vary widely depending on account and exact circumstance, the best thing for you to do is work with support directly on this. I have reached out and am working to arrange this on your behalf - if you'd like to PM me any specific additional details I can include them in that request. I'm especially intrigued on understanding the deployment history behind that particular agent. I can see that the agent was installed since June but the creation date in the portal is reported to be September.