Views
Helpful
Replies

ThousandEyes Agent Cloud Upgrades

Chris345
Level 1
Level 1

Hey TE Team!

It was last year I learned that the ThousandEyes can be deployed to a Cisco IOS XE Docker Appliance (Cat 9300 Switch) in a couple different ways. This could be with the Agent Version (updateable) or The Image Version (Static Version) unless you do a "app-hosting upgrade".

My forward looking question is will there be a way to do ThousandEyes update via a Cisco Cloud Repository, or click on Upgrade in the ThousandEyes portal like you can for the Virtual Appliance's that need updates? I recently updated our Virtual Appliance that was running Ubuntu 18.x and it did an update by clicking a button in the Portal to update it to Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS. I could also take an option for DNAC to automatically update them too.

I would be neat to update ThousandEyes Agents similarly to how Meraki deploys updates automatically when they come out and are deemed stable.

Does the ThousandEyes team have any ideas, sneak peeks or ways to do what I am looking for, without maintaining a local mirror of the ThousandEyes package repository?

Thanks y'all

-Chris

1 Reply 1

Tyler Langston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Howdy @Chris345 - thanks for this question! I ran it up the flagpole and got a response from one of our experts:

All of our Enterprise Agents are configured to keep themselves updated automatically.  As long as your agent's are not flagged as being on an out of date version this system is working.

The reason for the upgrade button between Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 is that the level of change required would cause an outage as the agent would go offline during the upgrade process.  Also if a customer was using a private repo and we upgraded automatically, we could break the agent if the private repo was not ready for the new Ubuntu version. So it was safer (and more polite) to let you trigger this upgrade vs automatically.