cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vmware SRM

alaarrud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does anyone have experience with UCSD and VMware SRM ?  What is the full extent of its capabilities and limitations to do DR site?

2 Replies 2

paulfiero
Level 1
Level 1

Are you speaking strictly within the confines of UCSD or in general?  We are an enterprise group with 22 hosts in each of our two data centers.  We stretch our layer 2 network between the two data centers and are doing hardware based storage replication.  We are using SRM to protect both data centers (each to the other).

Though we have not had cause to do an actual full scale fail over between the two we have failed a couple VMs from one site to the other with no problem.  We have also done large scale testing between the two using SRM's test feature which essentially does a simulated fail over by starting up a read-only copy (I think) of the replicated VM but without networking so that there are no conflicts.  It gives us the ability to find issues without the risk.

This is, so far, pretty much the only large scale DR solution we’ve found for VMWare.

I’ve got SRM at least partially configured in UCSD so that we can see the protected sites and list the VMs.  I do not have all of the storage mappings configured in UCSD and haven’t explored it any more than to just look around.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss further.

Orf Gelbrich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here are the SRM tasks with in UCSD: 

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.38.00 AM.png

you could add these to your VM deployment 

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer