shvarana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Workflow Name:Create VLAN and Assign to Group WORKFLOW v1.0
Description:

This workflow creates a VLAN on a device and assigns that VLAN to a Group

Compatible UCS Director Versions:UCSD 4.1.x.x
Category:Network
Components:Network Device (N5K, N7K, Nexus 1000V)

Workflow Tasks Included:

(shown in order as they appear in workflow)

1. Create VLAN
  2. Assign VLAN to Group
User Inputs:
  • VLAN ID (Type- vlanID)
  • Device (Type-Networking_Device)
Prerequisites:

Instructions for Use:

1. Download the attached .ZIP file below to your computer. *Remember the location of the saved file on your computer.
  2. Unzip the file on your computer. Should end up with a .WFD file.
  3. Log in to UCS Director as a user that has "system-admin" privileges.
  4. Navigate to "Policies-->Orchestration" and click on "Import".
  5. Click "Browse" and navigate to the location on your computer where the .WFD file resides. Choose the .WFD file and click "Open".
  6. Click "Upload" and then "OK" once the file upload is completed. Then click "Next".
  7. Click the "Select" button next to "Import Workflows". Click the "Check All" button to check all checkboxes and then the "Select" button.
  8. Click "Submit".
  9. A new folder should appear in "Policies-->Orchestration" that contains the imported workflow. You will now need to update the included tasks with information about the specific environment.
Comments
mhasenfang
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to move a virtual machine to a vlan during or after orchestration.  The "customer" vlan does not have access to the hypervisor resources directly.  So the orchestration fails, I need a way to move the newly created VM to the customer network either during or after orchestration.  Would this work flow help do that?

I would be doing this for both VMware and Hyper-V both Nexus 1000v.

michzimm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

The network policy or policies located at “Policies—>Network” define the network interfaces for VMs and what networks those interfaces are placed on during provisioning. If I understand the scenario correctly, you simply need to change/update the appropriate network policy you are using to place the VM on the appropriate “customer” network/VLAN (which for the N1k equates to a “port-profile”). Can you provide a little more detail around the statement “The customer vlan does not have access to the hypervisor resources directly”? Do you mean there is no “port-profile” (on the N1K) created that is associate with the “customer” VLAN?

Thanks,

Mike

mhasenfang
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Michael,

Thank you for the response.  Basically, we are segregating the customer(s) networks and those only have access to their own resources and not the shared infrastructure.  To your point, yes, this would be putting the virtual machine on the port-profile for the customer network.

The issue I have seen is that when doing the orchestration, UCS Director tries to orchestrate on the customer vlan/port-profile and it fails since it does not have access on that vlan/port-profile.

The way I understand it, UCS Director needs to orchestrate on the management vlan/port-profile and then move/migrate or remove and add the new virtual machine to the appropriate vlan/port-profile for each customer.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links