Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing SMTP Server For Sending Voicemail to Email

nromanek1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to start off by thanking the community for being so helpful, it's really great to have a resource like this. I wish I contributed more. Currently, I'm trying to change the SMTP server in Cisco Unity Connection Administration to point to our cloud-based email service provider so voicemail emails are no longer sent to our old in-house Exchange server.

I log into Cisco Unity Connection Administration, go to SMTP Configuration > Server - the field there says SMTP domain - I put in something.smtp.mx.somewhere.serversomething.net (which I believe is correct, this is for unauthenticated relay). Would it be better to use the IP address here? It's set to port 25 which should be fine. It said reset 3 different services, I went into Cisco Unity Connection Serviceability and reset the 3 (Conversation manager, Message Transfer Agent, and SMTP Server). Hopefully, I did the aforementioned correctly.

The part that I'm getting hung up on is the 'Smarthost' section, SMTP Configuration > Smarthost in CUCA . I spoke with our email hosting company and they said I shouldn't have to set this part up (it was pointed to the private IP of our old exchange server) - but I could set one up if necessary.

I want to make sure I'm doing everything else right first and not skipping anything before setting up a Smarthost with our Email Service provider. I went to Users > Edit Message Actions > Voicemail - then for voicemail I set it to Accept and Relay the Message, I then put in the email address that I want it to be sent to.

I also went to SMTP Proxy Addresses and added the email address that I'm trying to get it to send to there - at this point I'm grasping at straws. I'd like to know if anyone can catch a mistake that I'm making or if I just have to bite bullet and setup a 'Smarthost' with our email service provider.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide. Also, please let me know if I'm posting this in the wrong community group.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Reply 1

nromanek1
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like Cisco Unity Connection does not support SMTP authentication. 

What I'm unsure of is the difference between the Smarthost and the SMTP Domain - is anybody able to clarify if I need to fill out both and what the difference between the two is?