Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect 3.1x suddenly stopped working on Mac running High Sierra

Bobbsie18
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to understand as my university tech support is slow to respond at best

Running MacOS High Sierra (10.13.1)on MacBook Pro. .Cisco Anyconnect v.3.1x worked perfectly until a couple of weeks ago .No longer working

I start the app, see that VPN adapter is being loaded. Connect with my university's 2Factor authentication- nothing wrong with my login or password-

Cisco Anyconnect does not connect.  error message " unable to connect to specific secure gateway"

Nothing new or different on my Mac.

Any thoughts what could be the issue? 

4 Replies 4

bitcoin.exe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Same issue on 4.4.x and also 4.5.x

Using Macos 10.13.1

It detects the password is correct and attempts to connect however i also get the message "Anyconnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again"

Did not have an issue a few weeks ago.

Tried the same credentials on a windows PC and connection is successful.

Oh no, bitcoin.exe, that is not good... My experience is like yours, exactly
Actually, approx. three weeks ago I noted that AnyConnect was taking longer to connect. Formerly once I input the PW, agreed to the DUO MOBILE 2FA, boom, AnyConnect connected. Approx three or so weeks ago I noted it taking longer to connect and for the first time I saw "VPN adapter loading".. Never had seen that before. So, while upset I cannot connect now with VPN, I sort of expected something was about to break
Does Cisco monitor this board? Sounds like Cisco has to work with Apple to adjust AnyConnect for Mac users. Something seems to have changed in past two weeks.

I  have fresh copy of CiscoAnyConnect Client 3.1.x downloaded from my university site

My 2FA authentication works perfectly

Here is what happens

When I launch Cisco,
Client presents with an upper and lower pane. 
The lower pane is where user name and password are entered
input my password, DuoMobile verifies me (2FA process)
Again see new-sh message in upper Cisco window   "establishing VPN  Loading VPN adapter"
            only started seeing these messages in past few weeks or so. (Previously nothing about "adapter")

This process takes easily 30+ seconds (formerly connection was almost instant)
The little ball icon is that window is a orange yellow
The window turns gray with three small dots
The message changes to "VPN established" 
The message changes to "Ready to Connect"
The Connect button to the right of these messages highlights
I click the Connect button
Bottom widow opens AGAIN asking me for my user name and password
I input.. DuoMobile chimes again, I re-authorize 2FA
And I am in a LOOP, 
Finally I see new small message window  to effect the VPN cannot connect, suggests rebooting computer followed by another message window advising  "unable to connect to specific secure Gateway"

Had same problem

My IT staff at work helped me completely uninstall AnyConnect INCLUDING looking in the the Library and System folders  to thoroughly clean out Cisco.

I also found I had something called DART installed and we removed that as well.

IT was able to obtain a newer Cisco AnyConnec (version 4.4 )

I am now again able to connect to my VPN

Moral of story- Uninstall AnyConnect- using installer; Do not move the visible app into your trash.

Also do some manual scrubbing in addition to what the Uninstaller does.

Then re install AnyConnect