Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect disconnects on redhat when creating/terminating any console window

mickntigg
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client running on linux REDHAT

after anyconnect auto-upgraded to V4.7.04056 on Feb 12, it disconnects me from the network every time i create a terminal window.

I've upgraded to 4.8.02045 and still the same problem

also occurs if i create vpn via command line or gui

desktop is KDE.

I've tried reinstalling AnyConnect no help.  I've run selinux relabel.

any ideals are welcome.  log messages below

log messages:

Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: Termination reason code 5: The user is logging off the system.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: Function: OnTunnelStateChange File: ../../vpn/Agent/TND.cpp Line: 2038 tunnel state change notification (new 3, old 1)
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: The Primary DTLS connection to the secure gateway is being torn down.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: Function: OnTunnelStateChange File: ../../vpn/Agent/TND.cpp Line: 2038 tunnel state change notification (new 3, old 3)
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: A DTLS Alert was sent by the client during a write operation. Severity: warning Description: close notify
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: The Primary DTLS connection to the secure gateway is down.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: The VPN client has sent the following close message to the gateway: The user is logging off the system.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: A SSL Alert was sent by the client during a write operation. Severity: warning Description: close notify
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: The Primary SSL connection to the secure gateway is down.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnagent[1609]: Function: OnTunnelStateChange File: ../../vpn/Agent/TND.cpp Line: 2038 tunnel state change notification (new 3, old 3)
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnui[12025]: VPN state: Disconnecting Network state: Network Accessible Network control state: Network Access: Restricted Network type: Undefined
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnui[12025]: Function: getStateMessage File: ../../vpn/Api/ClientIfcBase.cpp Line: 3181 Disconnect in progress.
Feb 20 14:08:13 xxxxxx-lnx7 acvpnui[12025]: Message type information sent to the user: Disconnect in progress, please wait...

11 Replies 11

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Have you configured in the AnyConnect profile, the "Retain VPN On Logoff" option? You can do it manually by editing the XML profile.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.  I had set RetainVpnOnLogoff to true a couple of weeks ago but never went back to make sure it wasn't getting reset.  Turns out it gets reset every time i start anyconnect.   So sadly, i've got to go deal with my company's IT department as they are windows oriented and not linux.   I/ve no ideal why they have decided to change this with the latest update to the software. 

cheers,

m.

I've done more research and restored the xml files from backups i did last year and discovered that RetainVpnOnLogoff has always been set to false.  The issue is occurred after a software upgrade to the client so it seems cisco has introduced a bug in V4.7.04056 where it thinks that terminals being created/terminated are login/logoff events.    has anyone else seen this behavior on their linux envs?    I can't change the value of RetainVpnOnLogoff because it get overwritten by company client policy.

Hi,

The same issue has been there as well, in older versions, fixed only via the RetainVPNOnLogoff. I would do the following in parallel:

- raise a TAC case

- your company could push only to the Linux devices a different policy so that it works for you as well

Any tweaking you end up doing on the end-host is not a long-term solution, as it will always break due to new company policies which don't take into consideration Linux devices, or by a new AnyConnect update which overwrites your local tweaks.

Regards,

Cristian Matei

I have precisely the same issue (v4.8.01090).

Did you ever raise a TAC case for this? This bug has been hurting my productivity for months now.

I am not able to open a TAC ticket.  I have to go though my companies GIT org and they are still "researching" the issue even though i've told them of this thread.

Ok thank you. Same for me as my company doesn't officially support Linux.

my company does support linux but the linux people don't have the ability to open a  TAC. they have to get the networking team to do so.  and so i wait and wait.

Can please someone help me figure out how to add this "Retain VPN On Logoff" option to my Linux Server? I cannot find this XML profile, all i can find on the path "opt/cisco/anyconnect/profile" is a AnyConnectProfile.xsd file. This is a very urgent matter as I am experiencing this same issue of VPN disconnecting itself whenever we ssh into our server and I am hoping this "Retain VPN On Logoff" will prevent this. 

cparg
Level 1
Level 1

I also have this sever problem with CentOS 8 and Linux AnyConnect 4.8.01090 client.

Cause: The problem has to do with the /dev/console device that disappears or changes for AnyConnect.

Workaround: After first Login to KDE-Plasma after system start, log out and kill XOrg, than login again.

There is an enhancement request "CSCvt68560 - ENH - Retain VPN On Logoff for Linux." filed that is supposed to fix this bug!

Note: I am disappointed that Cisco handles this as an enhancement request, for me this is clearly a very sever bug. Cisco support was not able to provide a workaround. I am also wondering whether the ER will really fix the root cause or will just mitigate its effect.

Note: The vpnagent keeps a lot of stale filehandles open, as ls -l /proc/<vpnagentd pid>/fd shows. There are a lot of anon_inode entries (see man proc).

Unfortunately the workaround stopped working for me.

I am wondering if the signal that is send to the crappy Cisco Anyconnect client can be intercepted. I suppose this works through dbus but I don't know how that could be done. 
Any expert on dbus here who could help ?
Thx, Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: