cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect VPN - Logon with UPN

Mark Richmond
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've got an anyconnect client vpn configured with authentication utilising LDAP, all working fine with user logging on with their standard firstname.lastname, however I'm trying to set up the log on to utilise the upn, i.e. firstname.lastname@test.co.uk, if on the LAN, users can utilise their upn which indicates that AD is correctly configured to accept that type of log on request, so my query is to confirm if it is actually a change to the firewall that is needed and if so what that may be. There are options to strip of domains etc, these are all set to default.

It may be an AD issue I just can't find anything to indicate what / where the issue is.

Thank you for your assistance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to utilize the UPN to login to the AnyConnect client, you can change the LDAP configuration of the ASA to use UPN as the naming attribute instead of sAMAccountName. Usually your ASA ldap configuration looks something like this:

ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-group)#aaa-server LDAP_SRV_GRP (inside) 
   host 192.168.1.2
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-base-dn dc=ftwsecurity, dc=cisco, dc=com
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-login-dn cn=admin, cn=users, dc=ftwsecurity, dc=cisco, dc=com
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-login-password **********
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-scope subtree
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#server-type microsoft
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#exit

Change "ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName" to "ldap-naming-attribute userPrincipalName" and users should be able to use there UPN instead of firstname.lastname. 

GUI based config referenced below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/98625-asa-ldap-authentication.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to utilize the UPN to login to the AnyConnect client, you can change the LDAP configuration of the ASA to use UPN as the naming attribute instead of sAMAccountName. Usually your ASA ldap configuration looks something like this:

ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-group)#aaa-server LDAP_SRV_GRP (inside) 
   host 192.168.1.2
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-base-dn dc=ftwsecurity, dc=cisco, dc=com
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-login-dn cn=admin, cn=users, dc=ftwsecurity, dc=cisco, dc=com
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-login-password **********
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#ldap-scope subtree
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#server-type microsoft
ciscoasa(config-aaa-server-host)#exit

Change "ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName" to "ldap-naming-attribute userPrincipalName" and users should be able to use there UPN instead of firstname.lastname. 

GUI based config referenced below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/98625-asa-ldap-authentication.html

Hi Rahul, just wanted to thank you for your prompt response and providing the answer to my query, interestingly I had actually tried the UPN element previously but it failed, potentially I copied it incorrectly as I know it's case sensitive. Thanks again for your assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: