Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect VPN Popup Messages In Windows

YV65577
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have hit a bit of a stumbling block. Our ASA currently has a VPN idle timeout set (lets just say 30 mins for example). I have been looking at ways to make the VPN connection as silent/invisible as possible and have achieved this using computer certification authentication along with some scripting by leveraging vpncli.exe and its parameters. This is something new I am working on and therefore its not in production yet.

My issue is, when I put a Windows 10 laptop to sleep (by closing the lid), when I return to the laptop a few hours/days later, I see this message (see attached). I want to disable/suppress this message box from appearing. I understand that i can extend the idle timeout from 30 mins to maybe 12 hours but that is not good enough because I could come back to my laptop a week later, resume it (wake it up from sleep) and will still see this message as the 12 hour idle timeout has elapsed. I'm also not convinced disabling the idle timeout completely is a good idea due to security concerns.

I have attempted a number of "tricks" to get around this message. The simplest approach (if it had worked) would have been a script that disconnects the vpn connection when a laptop goes to sleep, the problem here is you cannot run a script before a laptop goes to sleep. If you configure a script to run just before a laptop goes to sleep, it actually runs after the laptop wakes up which is too late. To the best of my knowledge, there is not straightforward way to intercept the Windows 10 sleep process and squeeze in my script to disconnect the VPN.

Whats making it even more difficult is i cannot find an alternative way to get rid of this message (after it has appeared on screen) other than to physically click the ok button. Normally in Windows you can terminate a process and that usually terminates any errors messages too, but in this case, I cannot seem to find what process is displaying this message and so i cant terminate it. 

Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

mingyu
Level 1
Level 1