cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525: How to keep IKEv2 L2L tunnel always open?

Hello.

I have various network symptoms in which ASA5525 IKEv2 L2L VPN traffic intermittently fails.

I am wondering if this is because the tunnels are down until interesting traffic passes, so server transactions fail on 1st attempts.

QUESTIONS:

1. Does my theory make sense?

2. How do I configure this VPN to always remain up (open)?

3. (seperate to above L2L tunnel)-- Do DMVPN tunnels remain always up, or are they off until interesting traffic begins to pass?

(Here is a helpful link, though I don't trust it. I trust fresh feedback from this forum.) To keep the IPsec tunnel UP - Cisco Community

Thank you!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@jmaxwellUSAF yes a policy based VPN needs regular interesting traffic to keep the tunnel up.

You could configure your NMS to probe (ping/snmp) a device on the remote network, therefore there will always be regular traffic to keep the tunnel up.

Refer to this EEM script to keep a policy based VPN tunnel up - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/118087-technote-asa-00.html#anc6

A rotue based VPN (DMVPN or FlexVPN/VTI) will always be up.

View solution in original post

Run IP SLA from local lan to remote lan  this will keeep vpn tunnel always up

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

@jmaxwellUSAF yes a policy based VPN needs regular interesting traffic to keep the tunnel up.

You could configure your NMS to probe (ping/snmp) a device on the remote network, therefore there will always be regular traffic to keep the tunnel up.

Refer to this EEM script to keep a policy based VPN tunnel up - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/118087-technote-asa-00.html#anc6

A rotue based VPN (DMVPN or FlexVPN/VTI) will always be up.

Thank you, Rob.

QUESTION: As opposed to a standard VPN, why is a route-based VPN is always up?

@jmaxwellUSAF from the cisco docs - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa919/configuration/vpn/asa-919-vpn-config/vpn-vti.html

"IKE and IPsec security associations will be re-keyed continuously regardless of data traffic in the tunnel. This ensures that VTI tunnels are always up"

Run IP SLA from local lan to remote lan  this will keeep vpn tunnel always up

How often should the pings go out? (any links you have to this topic, and configs, would be helpful also.)

@jmaxwellUSAF 60 seconds should suffice, as per the example in the link provided above.

Check the IKEv2 lifetime you use make it below that value.

Make it every 60 sec is put much process to cpu.

QUESTION: Is it true that to accomplish the intent, there must be an SLA config on both ends of the tunnel?

@jmaxwellUSAF no, as long as there is traffic traversing the tunnel, either side can send the traffic.

DMVPN tunnel not support keepalive so same run IP SLA for dmvpn tunnel also.

DMVPN doesn't require interesting traffic to be established, so no need for IP SLA. The mGRE tunnel used with DMVPN will always be up providing it has a valid tunnel source and routable tunnel destination.

DMVPN is two tunnel 

static toward hub 

Dynamic between spoke (spoke to spoke) this need IP SLA otherwise it will down.

That is actually true for spoke-to-spoke tunnels, they are built dynamically. Not practical to have IP SLA configured between all peers in a large spoke-to-spoke environment though.

You are correct

But I think he want for some spoke not all.