cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefits to consolidating VPN clients to an ASA?

waylon
Level 1
Level 1

What are the benefits of consolidation the VPN client users to the ASA 5550? My client currently has the old VPN 3000 series concentrator. Other than it's EOL and EOS, are there any other reasons I can give them?

Regards,

Way

2 Replies 2

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Way,

Experts and Cisco engineers may be able to give you more information, but here are my thoughts..

1. When a device reaches EOS/EOL, Cisco does not release any software updates for that device. So incase if there is any security advisories for the IOS, you will not be able to upgrade VPN Conc.

2.Consolidating the clients- sounds like client already have ASA - The ASA can act as single entry and security check point for the organization. You can even go for IPS modules to provide additional security.

3. Last but not least, iy saves you few $ on SMARTnet.

hth

MS

Hi Way,

In addition to what MS said about the ASA, think about the moving tech nowadays ... all the VPN is heading towards SSL and IKEv2 which both are not supported by the good old VPN3K, so with the EOL/EOS for the native VPN client (IPSec), we are now moving into the more secure, more flexible and more reliable, the SSL world with it's all glory, think about moving to AnyConnect, or having your own customized SSL portal... ;]

Check this link, you might find it interesting to read... :]

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e39.html

HTH,

Mo.