cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't RDP back into Windows 7 PC after disconnecting/reconnecting Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client and then trying to RDP again?

Dali748
Level 1
Level 1

When I'm already RDP'd into my work PC running Windows 7, I can use my PC fine.

However, the recurring issue I have is whenever I disconnect my work Cisco AnyConnect VPN client, and then connect back to the VPN; when I try to use RDP to log back in again; it doesn't let me log in anymore.

I have to get a co-worker to restart my PC and they have to log in locally first before I'm able to then log in with RDP.

I've done tests where when I couldn't connect have them log in to my PC locally and then I would try to log in but that doesn't work. It only seems to work if they restart my PC and then log back in locally on my PC first.

Has anyone experienced this issue before with Cisco AnyConnect VPN client? I have no idea how I can resolve this. I can't keep relying on my co-workers to restart my PC and log in for me each time.

Ty.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.9.0403.

-Thank you for that.

It's strange, I used to have 2 work PCs at different office locations, similar desktops, and connecting using Cisco AnyConnect Client to each machine when I needed to.  For 1 PC, I never had this issue and could always connect with RDP after connecting with AnyConnect but for the other PC (main one), I keep having this issue; this is why I was thinking maybe it's a network issue?

-if you can connect to 1 work PC fine and you never had issue with it compare to the problemetic one in that case yes it could be an issue with  network some where at some point. however, can you run a constant ping to RDP server also would be good if network team (if you the network person) can capture some packet on the ASA for this problemetic issue.

It happens each time I get disconnected from the AnyConnect client on my home PC.  Then when I connect back to the VPN client it no longer works until my co-worker restarts my PC at the office again; maybe it's an IP routing issue.

I believe I'm the only one having this issue, I've reached out to our tech support but they're not being very helpful.

I'm initiating RDP from my home PC after I connect to the AnyConnect client from my home PC. 

- worth checking what is the default gatway or the routing table ther RDP having.

the way you explain lead me to think its not an issue with Anyconnect it could be more to your network itself. hence as said earlier would be great to capture some data on the firewall as source your pc to RDP server.

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

if you have access to ASDM you need to go to anyconnect profile and check the buttion allow RDP access.

here and here is a link for the configuration.

Thank you for your reply! 

I don’t have access to ASDM, but I don’t think this is the issue.  

I can access my PC through RDP but the issue comes when my Cisco AnyConnect VPN disconnects and then when I reconnect to the VPN and try RDP again it doesn’t work.

i have to get my coworker to restart my PC and log in locally, then I can successfully RDP again.  I just don’t know why my PC has to be restarted again before I can successfully RDP through Cisco AnyConnect.

Ty.

what is the anyconnect version you using? is this started happened recently? is this a one single issue or coporate wide issue?

what is the ASA code you running.

you said you RDP is that means you initiate RDP from the computer that is already connected to ASA?

Hi. I'm using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.9.0403.

It's strange, I used to have 2 work PCs at different office locations, similar desktops, and connecting using Cisco AnyConnect Client to each machine when I needed to.  For 1 PC, I never had this issue and could always connect with RDP after connecting with AnyConnect but for the other PC (main one), I keep having this issue; this is why I was thinking maybe it's a network issue?

It happens each time I get disconnected from the AnyConnect client on my home PC.  Then when I connect back to the VPN client it no longer works until my co-worker restarts my PC at the office again; maybe it's an IP routing issue.

I believe I'm the only one having this issue, I've reached out to our tech support but they're not being very helpful.

I'm initiating RDP from my home PC after I connect to the AnyConnect client from my home PC. 

Ty. 

I'm using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.9.0403.

-Thank you for that.

-if you can connect to 1 work PC fine and you never had issue with it compare to the problemetic one in that case yes it could be an issue with  network some where at some point. however, can you run a constant ping to RDP server also would be good if network team (if you the network person) can capture some packet on the ASA for this problemetic issue.

- worth checking what is the default gatway or the routing table ther RDP having.

the way you explain lead me to think its not an issue with Anyconnect it could be more to your network itself. hence as said earlier would be great to capture some data on the firewall as source your pc to RDP server.

Dali748
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thank you...I'll reach out to my helpdesk again to see if they can provide more information. Ty.