cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot install AnyConnect after improper uninstall and terminal SUDO is not working either (Mac OS X Mojave)

rferreira.dba
Level 1
Level 1

So, here's the problem:

1. iMac reached end of life two nights ago.
  2. Yes, I have backups in Time Machine.
  3. I buy a brand new iMac.
  4. I use Migration Assistant and the Time Machine backup to restore as much as possible of my configurations.
  5. Specifically for AnyConnect, I get one of those crossed circles and if I try to open AnyConnect I get the message "...cannot open...because it may be damaged or incomplete."
  6. Fine, I drag and drop the Cisco folder to the trashcan since the uninstall icon is crossed out as well and non-functional. Now, THAT seems to leave pieces behind... Keep on reading please.
  7. I then try and install AnyConnect, only to be greeted with the unfriendly message that reads (a GUI actually): "AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client can't be installed on this disk. Version XX of the Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client is already installed."

I did some digging (Googling), and I came across two suggestions. One is:

Open Terminal and do the following:
su 
cd /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin
ls (to see if there's a vpn_uninstall.sh file)
If there is, then run the following command:
sh vpn_uninstall.sh

Problem with this approach? When I hit su and enter I am greeted with "su: Sorry" And then when I enter 

sh vpn_uninstall.sh I get the message "Sorry, you need super user privileges to run this sacript"

The second approach suggested running "
sudo pkgutil --forget com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn"
When I do that I get:
"
sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory

sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin"

So, I guess I am running into two problems here? One is that Anyconnect is not correctly uninstalled, and the second is that I cannot get super user privileges?

Any help appreciated, as I need VPN to work so I can do my job! TKS!

Raphael

1 Reply 1

NetEng0424
Level 1
Level 1

Hey hope this helps:

For the admin user issue, please ensure the following for your account:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon to unlock it.

3. Enter an administrator name and password.

4. Select a standard user or managed user in the list of users, then select “Allow user to administer this computer.

Once verified, open a terminal and issue the following commands:

cd /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin

chmod +x vpn_uninstall.sh <This will make the file executable>

vpn_uninstall.sh

If these do not work, try delete the /anyconnect directory. 

Let me know if this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: