Views
Helpful
Replies

Change ASA5510 to ASA5515-X

Patrick Tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to change ASA5510 to ASA5515-X.

ASA5510 version is 9.1.1

Which is the best method to copy the configuration?

Downtime is acceptable.

I dont know if backup (with ASDM) ASA5510 configuration and restore on 5515 could work because of their difference (Ethernet, GigabitEthernet for example...)

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'd have to copy the configuration to an offline copy and change the interface definitions there, mapping from the 5510 physical to the 5515 physical interfaces. Then import that configuration into the 5515-X.

Most everything else should be fine - especially if you stick with the same ASA software level for now. Make sure you have the same ASA and ASDM images on the new 5515-X.

Save and reload the 5515-X while it's still not in production and double check the console during startup to see if it generates any errors in parsing the configuration file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'd have to copy the configuration to an offline copy and change the interface definitions there, mapping from the 5510 physical to the 5515 physical interfaces. Then import that configuration into the 5515-X.

Most everything else should be fine - especially if you stick with the same ASA software level for now. Make sure you have the same ASA and ASDM images on the new 5515-X.

Save and reload the 5515-X while it's still not in production and double check the console during startup to see if it generates any errors in parsing the configuration file.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your answer.

I cant have the same ASA  image because 5515-X use ASA "SMP" version.

Moreover I have to copy all .xml and .pkg on 5515-X. I will try to restore ASDM backup "zip" before changing configuration manually

I will keep you informed about this migration.

Yes, you're correct - I should have said "version" instead of "image" for the ASA software itself. ASDM is the same image binary.

What I've done to copy ASA 5510 configuration to ASA 5515-X without error...

On ASA 5510 :

- backup configuration with ASDM --> backup.zip with password

- copy running-config in a file : backup.cfg

I modified few lines on backup.cfg:

- Ethernet to GigabitEthernet

- boot image

On ASA 5515-X

- I configured management interface then I copy many files (dap.xml, <allvpnprofiles>.xml, anyconnect.pkg, ASA, ASDM, backup.cfg)

- I configure "boot system" and "asdm image"

- on ASDM, I restored with the wizard and I select Certificate and VPN. (but VPN data was not restored)

- with CLI, I copied backup.cfg to running-config then write mem

- there was only few warnings and there was no error after reboot.

I didnt tried to connect in production but configuration seems correct.

Patrick