cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect disconnection issue

alirgdm
Level 1
Level 1

I connect to my work through the CISCO AnyConnect VPN client, and lately I have been facing constant disruptions where the VPN client keeps disconnecting. I reviewed the logs exported via the DART utility and only activity happening at the time of disconnection says: IKE session deleted with internal reason code 5 - Lost contact with peer. This happens right after: Send NAT keepalive packet local IP address:37905 remote IP address:37905.

I have searched for the reason code 5 and have not found any answers. I am trying to get at the root cause of this and what is causing this error. Any help is much appreciated.

8 Replies 8

It SSL or IKEv2 VPN

If it SSL then use 

anyconnect ssl keepalive 60

What causes of problems is there is NAT and you need always send packet to make NAT entry not remove and make your vpn drop

MHM

Hello, the VPN is IKEv2. 

Show me vpn sessiondb <- if ASA  

When it happened again 

MHM

I believe it is less the anyconnect client issue and may be a hardware issue. I am working to identify that, however, I would still like to know what this error internal reason code 5 means?

I need to see below when issue happened 

Show me vpn sessiondb 

MHM

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@alirgdm 

how often that problem happens, every 30 seconds after you connect or randomly that you can't put a timestamp on it?

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Hi @Ruben Cocheno the problem is very intermittent, it would happen once every few hours and then will happen in bunches. I did some additional troubleshooting and have potentially identified the culprit, it may be the MOCA adapter feeding the switch which then connects to my laptop.

However, I would still like to know what is this error and what does this mean > internal reason code 5

Thanks.

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@alirgdm 

Found a bug that relates to that issue, and the internal code 5 means Lost contact with peer
When using IKEv2 RaVPN on MAC every time an interface flap due to AWDL0 the ASA/Client appears to miss a dPD: This causes increasing amounts of the following message to be seen on the logs: IKE session deleted with internal reason code 5 - Lost contact with peer
Conditions: MAC OS with Anyconnect 4.9 versions

Upgrade and/test other platform if possible.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/