Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect secure mobility client "Authentication failed"

farazkhan206
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to log in to my work lap top using our VPN. I need to connect to the VPN before I can even log into windows so I am trying to connect at the windows log in screen.

Each time I select the dual monitor icon as it brings up the cisco any connect mobility client window at the windows login screen, to connect to our VPN, I keep getting an error message saying "Authentication Failed" when clicking on VPN and trying to connect. 

IT is unsure how to fix the issue, so I am posting here to get any troubleshooting ideas or ways to fix it.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

(I am able to use a token and connect and log in that way, however that is not feasible every time, so trying to get a fix that allows me to log in on my own and connect on my own)

IMG_6087.jpg

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the VPN is setup to require a hardware token, it probably uses a user or device certificate on that token which is a mandatory part of the VPN authentication.

To not use a token would violate the security policy, which is why you get the "Authentication failed" message.

Thanks Marvin. So the rest of my coworkers are able to just connect normally without using a token, looks like I'm the only one facing the issue. Is there a way to have them change the security policy for my profile or computer to allow me to connect without a token? If so, do you know what the steps would be so that I can let the IT team know and they can try to see if that fixes the issue? Thanks!

The required authentication method is not set on your local computer - it is set on the VPN headend. Your IT team would have to check there, ideally looking at logs and debugs while you try to authenticate.