Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco asa enabling remote vpn

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Team,

I have a Cisco asa firewall, i would like to enable remote vpn (either ssl or client vpn).

Please check the attached show version and suggest what are required or missing to enable these.

Accordingly, i will get the things done and enable VPN.

regards

SecIT

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the licensing and version of software you have, you could only run the legacy IPsec VPN client.

To run AnyConnect client-based SSL VPN, you'd need to purchase an AnyConnect Essentials license. For your platform that would be L-ASA-AC-E-5550=. (Clientless SSL VPN would be a different part number.)

I'd also suggest upgrading your system software beyond 8.2(2) the current recommended release would be 9.0(3). (9.1(5) is the latest on the 5550.)

View solution in original post

Hi,

Agree on the upgrade - as you are running a 5550 you WONT need to upgrade your RAM, as it comes with 4GB.

You will only be able to provide 2 Concurrent AnyConnect Connections for remote VPN, so as Marvin suggests if you want to head down that road (which I would recommend) purchase the licence he suggests.

Cisco AnyConnect - Essentials / Premium Licences Explained

If cost is a limiting factor that you are stuck with the IPSec VPN client which is slowly being 'wound down' as far as support goes.

Cisco ASA5500 Client VPN Access

Regards,

Pete

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the licensing and version of software you have, you could only run the legacy IPsec VPN client.

To run AnyConnect client-based SSL VPN, you'd need to purchase an AnyConnect Essentials license. For your platform that would be L-ASA-AC-E-5550=. (Clientless SSL VPN would be a different part number.)

I'd also suggest upgrading your system software beyond 8.2(2) the current recommended release would be 9.0(3). (9.1(5) is the latest on the 5550.)

Raja Periyasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Also note that the remote access ipsec vpn client has reached End of Support.

It is better to go for Anyconnect ssl VPN client. 

With latest versions of ASA you can also configure Anyconnect to use Ikev2 .

Hi,

Agree on the upgrade - as you are running a 5550 you WONT need to upgrade your RAM, as it comes with 4GB.

You will only be able to provide 2 Concurrent AnyConnect Connections for remote VPN, so as Marvin suggests if you want to head down that road (which I would recommend) purchase the licence he suggests.

Cisco AnyConnect - Essentials / Premium Licences Explained

If cost is a limiting factor that you are stuck with the IPSec VPN client which is slowly being 'wound down' as far as support goes.

Cisco ASA5500 Client VPN Access

Regards,

Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: