Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN and Metro-E

josem_155
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I  have a customer who wants to deploy a Metro-E among all sites. But,  when I see what he wants i saw he wants to deploy DMVPN over that  MEtro-E as well. My question is: is this ok? I mean, Metro-E is not  secured already? What should he deploy DMVPN ob that metro connection  for?

I  have read a lot of papers and I saw that DMVPN is good to be deploy to  secure connections over internet, as backup or over a MPLS VPN ( aslgo  GETVPN) so im confused with this.

Regards

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Metro-E would normally be treated as a private network in that you can use exclusively private addressing and there is no exposure to the Internet. However it still does ride across your carrier's shared infrastructure and by itself provides no confidentiality protection from the carrier themselves. Overlaying DMVPN (or any other cryptographic protection) adds that confidentiality.

I would not normally expect it either unless the customer had some regulatory or compinace requirements that dictated enceyption for their data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: