Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Phase 3 dual cloud Spoke-to-Spoke communication

Michael Grann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'd like to confirm/verify if Phase 3 allows Spokes in different DMVPN domains to communicate directly or is traffic from Spoke-DMVPN-A routed across the Hubs to Spoke-DMVPN-B? Any authoritative documentation on CCO on this specific scenario is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike, 

I might be off, not working with VPNs for a year now, but here goes. 

It really depends on what is a domain for you. Remember that NHRP network ID is locally significant.

Ultimately same network ID allows NHRP resolution requests to jump between different tunnels. 

If network ID is different then the "domain" is different and NHRP should not flow between. 

For the rest it's all based on routing, it's just a question of making conscious design choices before deploying and a bit of testing. 

M.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike, 

I might be off, not working with VPNs for a year now, but here goes. 

It really depends on what is a domain for you. Remember that NHRP network ID is locally significant.

Ultimately same network ID allows NHRP resolution requests to jump between different tunnels. 

If network ID is different then the "domain" is different and NHRP should not flow between. 

For the rest it's all based on routing, it's just a question of making conscious design choices before deploying and a bit of testing. 

M.

Hi Marcin,

Thank you for the clarification. I'm just making sure Phase 3 has nothing to do with the ID.

-Mike

Mike, 

I would be careful though about the end goal of a design is. 

The separation is there for a reason (on ID level), DMVPN phase 3 design is meant to be multipoint design with redundancy built around routing (at least in the most typical scenario). 

Do not try to over-complicate the design, unless you test it thoroughly first. 

M.