cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN spokes: "ipsec profile my-profile shared" & "mode"...

Hello.

GIVEN: 3 DMVPN spokes each connect to 2 hubs at different physical locations. Each spoke is configured with "ipsec profile my-profile shared"

QUESTION: Must a spoke connecting to 2 hubs with a shared profile be configured mutually exclusively with "mode tunnel" or "mode transport" for both tunnel connections?

If above answer is yes, is it possible for the hub to accept some spokes that use "mode tunnel" and other spokes that use "mode transport"?

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Shared tunnel protection implies that there is only one IPSec profile applied to few tunnel interfaces which share same tunnel source. This basically means that you can set only one mode, either tunnel mode or transport mode in the corresponding transform-set.

If you don't share tunnel source between two tunnel interfaces, you don't need shared tunnel protection and hence can use two different IPSec profiles and two different transform-sets, e.g. one transport mode and the other one tunnel mode.

If one spoke is configured in transport mode and the other one is configured in tunnel mode they should be able to connect to the same hub if hub is configured with "mode transport". The full syntax is: "mode {transport [require] | tunnel}" which means that router is able to accept both tunnel and transport connections, unless "require" is given. NB: I tested this long ago and probably it wasn't DMVPN. On the other hand, I don't see why DMVPN should be different.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Shared tunnel protection implies that there is only one IPSec profile applied to few tunnel interfaces which share same tunnel source. This basically means that you can set only one mode, either tunnel mode or transport mode in the corresponding transform-set.

If you don't share tunnel source between two tunnel interfaces, you don't need shared tunnel protection and hence can use two different IPSec profiles and two different transform-sets, e.g. one transport mode and the other one tunnel mode.

If one spoke is configured in transport mode and the other one is configured in tunnel mode they should be able to connect to the same hub if hub is configured with "mode transport". The full syntax is: "mode {transport [require] | tunnel}" which means that router is able to accept both tunnel and transport connections, unless "require" is given. NB: I tested this long ago and probably it wasn't DMVPN. On the other hand, I don't see why DMVPN should be different.

HTH

I need to know are both hub use same NBMA or not ?
i.e. the hub tunnel IP is in same subnet or not ?

MHM

Tunnel 1 and tunnel 2 use different subnets.

if that case then you must use shared keyword for ipsec profile that protect both tunnel
for mode dont config it in hub the router will accept both transport and tunnel mode 

for spoke the transport is mandatory if you use spoke behind NAT 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_conn_dmvpn/configuration/xe-16-10/sec-conn-dmvpn-xe-16-10-book/sec-conn-dmvpn-dt-spokes-b-nat.pdf

MHM