Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD MANAGEMENT

fmugambi
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Team,

I have a virtual FTD managed by a virtual FMC.

I would like to manage the virtual FTD locally, by doing so, will I loose the current configuration on virtual FTD?

If yes, i can i safeguard myself against this?

Thankyou in Advance.

8 Replies 8

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @fmugambi ,

you can switch the management of the firewall by issuing the command configure manager delete to remove the FMC. Your configuration will not be deleted.

To enable local management you configure it with the command configure manager local.

It's always a good idea to test before changing something on production environment. Given that this is a virtual FTD, you can spin another one in your virtualisation environment, do some configuration on it, add it to FMC and then apply the command to migrate to local management.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Why you want to do this? managing the FTDs from FMC has much more features compared to managing them from FDM. Anyway, removing the manager (FMC in your case) will reset the FTD configuration to its factory default. However, what will remain if you do so is the management interface config, that will stay as is, but all the other configs on the device will be gone. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyway that will keep the config if you switch from FMC to FDM.

the same fmc manages some other physical FTDs. I wanted to test IP transiting between them since they sit on different DCs, by creating IPSEC vpn between them, but I would get duplicate tunnel configurations.

so i figured separating their management.

Immediately after you change the management from fmc to fdm all config will lost.

So you can backup config of ftd' and export policy and try config it manaully in fdm.

MHM

there is no way to import it via the FDM, the backup? to avoid redoing everything from scratch?

Hi any insights here, in regards to backup and restore? ie. backup on fmc , restore using fdm?