Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE/IPSec Tunnel not using source interface next hop

Antonio Macia
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have a router with dual ISPs and two tunnel interfaces. For ISP load-balancing I use floating default routes. Each tunnel interface uses as the source IP each WAN interface and the HUB's destination IP is the same for both tunnels. My problem is that the VPN negotiation fails because the Tunnel interface using the backup ISP seems to use the active default route.

In a nutshell, I want to force the the secondary generates and replies to the HUB using the stand-by ISP. Is that possible?

Configuration summary:

interface Tunnel1

tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/1

tunnel destination 1.1.1.1

interface Tunnel2

tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/0

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

description Backup ISP

ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.252

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

description Primary  ISP

ip address 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.252

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/0/0 2.2.2.1 10

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/0/1 3.3.3.1

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's definitely possible to use primary and backup tunnels via different ISPs to the same tunnel destination. Use local PBR to correctly route IKE packets. And use "tunnel route-via ... mandatory" tunnel interface CLI to correctly route GRE/ESP packets. Local PBR doesn't work for them because GRE and ESP packets are considered as transit traffic rather than the traffic which is originated by the router itself.

And to clarify: the "tunnel source" command sets sender IP address only. The packet is still routed according to the routing table. The "tunnel route-via <interface> mandatory" CLI restricts routes to be considered to just those which go via the configured <interface>.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

can you more elaborate
you tag the issue with DMVPN and I dont see any config of DMVPN ?

MHM 

Apologies. Let me elaborate a bit more the configurations. (Note that I'm replacing sensitive data)

Perhaps the issue is more related with a local PBR config needed to force the traffic. 

crypto isakmp policy 1

encr aes 256

hash sha256

authentication pre-share

group 5

lifetime 28800

crypto isakmp key x.x.x.x address 1.1.1.1

crypto isakmp profile Main-HUB

keyring default

match identity address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

!

crypto ipsec transform-set Main-HUB esp-aes 256 esp-sha256-hmac

mode tunnel

!

crypto ipsec profile DMVPN

set transform-set Main-HUB

!

interface Tunnel0

description Tunnel 1 to Main HUB

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

ip mtu 1400

ip ospf mtu-ignore

ip ospf 1 area 0

tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/0

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN

!

interface Tunnel1

descriptionTunnel 1 to Main HUB

ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

ip mtu 1400

ip ospf mtu-ignore

ip ospf 1 area 0

tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0/1

tunnel mode ipsec ipv4

tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN

!

Ok, I just realised that this router is no longer participating in DMVPN as some other routers in the customer network does. Apologies. It is in a traditional GRE/IPSec configuration. 

It's definitely possible to use primary and backup tunnels via different ISPs to the same tunnel destination. Use local PBR to correctly route IKE packets. And use "tunnel route-via ... mandatory" tunnel interface CLI to correctly route GRE/ESP packets. Local PBR doesn't work for them because GRE and ESP packets are considered as transit traffic rather than the traffic which is originated by the router itself.

And to clarify: the "tunnel source" command sets sender IP address only. The packet is still routed according to the routing table. The "tunnel route-via <interface> mandatory" CLI restricts routes to be considered to just those which go via the configured <interface>.

Working perfectly. Thanks!

Welcome.

MHM

You change the tunnel source interface?

I am so sure I see same interface!!

MHM

I just added the "tunnel route-via... mandatory" command and two static route towards the same IP of the HUB using as a next hop the ISP routers. Did tests shutting down each ISP interface, reloading the routers and both tunnel interfaces worked.

No Friend in original post I totally sure I see both tunnel use same interface, maybe you edit later 
Anyway 
glad issue is solve 
have a nice happy summer 
MHM