cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with DMVPN dual isp on single HUB, and dual ISP on the single Spoke

cyberbench31
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone can give a simple solution on how to do a dual ISP on a single HUB router, and dual ISP ng single spoke router for redundancy and failover. please help im a new on computer networking.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your asking for a huge amount of assistance here ...

There are several ways of achieve this, so I will give you only one, using vrfs.

On the hub router create two vrfs, isp1 and isp2.  Please each respective outside interface into the vrf, and a static default route in each vrf pointing out to the service provider for each respective isp.

Create two tunnels on the hub.  Then tell the tunnel to use the "front" vrf for its traffic.  Something like:

interface tunnel 0

tunnel vrf isp1

interface tunnel 1

tunnel vrf isp2

On the spoke you can use the same approach of dual vrfs, or you can use simple permanent static

routes for the remote tunnel endpoint.  For example,

ip route 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.255 <next-hop ip> permanent

ip route 10.10.11.1 255.255.255.255 <next-hop ip> permanent

This will mean each tunnel can only come up over a specific outbound path (and prevent tunnels trying to come up over other tunnels).

Make the tunnel key for Tunnel0 and Tunnel1 unique, so the router can tell them apart.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your asking for a huge amount of assistance here ...

There are several ways of achieve this, so I will give you only one, using vrfs.

On the hub router create two vrfs, isp1 and isp2.  Please each respective outside interface into the vrf, and a static default route in each vrf pointing out to the service provider for each respective isp.

Create two tunnels on the hub.  Then tell the tunnel to use the "front" vrf for its traffic.  Something like:

interface tunnel 0

tunnel vrf isp1

interface tunnel 1

tunnel vrf isp2

On the spoke you can use the same approach of dual vrfs, or you can use simple permanent static

routes for the remote tunnel endpoint.  For example,

ip route 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.255 <next-hop ip> permanent

ip route 10.10.11.1 255.255.255.255 <next-hop ip> permanent

This will mean each tunnel can only come up over a specific outbound path (and prevent tunnels trying to come up over other tunnels).

Make the tunnel key for Tunnel0 and Tunnel1 unique, so the router can tell them apart.

Thank you for the reply sir, but i still dont have the idea about vrf, it looks like complicated to me..  i tried the above configuration the only problem i am facing is when i turned off one of the tunnel ospf will never goes up it was stack at "INIT" state..

Check the tunnel MTUs on both ends and make sure they are identical.

Otherwise try:

debug ip ospf hello

denbig ip ospf events

And see if anything interesting comes up.

Why not use something simpler like EIGRP?

hi sir, thanks for the help, my ospf issue was already fix with different tunnel key, now my dual tunnnel with different isp is now working the my problem now is i got high latency with intermittent connection on my ping test when there is a lot of traffic on my network for example from 8AM-5PM.. any idea for this?

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni