cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Do I Create A Report: # of Unique VPN Users Logged In Per Day?

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

My boss came to me, we need metrics, how many unique users log into our LAN remotely per day? We have a Cisco ASA 5585 which I use ASDM to connect and monitor logs with users VPNing into our environment with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.

How do I create this report for management?

Thanks!

Matt

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matt

I do not know of an easy way to accomplish this. The solution I will suggest might work depending on what you are logging on your ASA and on appropriate access to the log records. I have done something like this as a manual effort for a customer and perhaps you could create something that would automate the process.

What I did was to access log records that the ASA sent to a log server (could not get the appropriate time span on the ASA) and would search for a particular log message number that would be present only once for a user's VPN session (perhaps a log record generated when the user authenticated or perhaps a log message about assignment of an IP address to the user). I would write the log records to a file where I could manipulate them.  You could perhaps extract the user name and sort on that or do something to eliminate duplicate entries where a user had multiple VPN sessions on that day.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick