cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent problem with name resolves

Ve Con
Level 1
Level 1

We have remote user who always depends on the VPN (Cisco Any Connect) to access the SQL database and mapping to the datashare on windows 2008 R2 server.

Intermittently she reports problem that she cannot access the SQL database using the db instance name.  She then had to use its IP instead of its name and it works.  So, the problem with the name resolve is not always happened.  Once it's reported to me, I tried it on my workstation at work and i cannot replicate the issue.  

Not sure how to tell her to troubleshoot further.  Any idea how i should go about on this problem since I am not able to reproduce it on my workstation?

Updates:

1) User cannot ping the name.  But nslookup <name> gives her the right result.  What should I look for in the firewall log at that time frame when she cannot ping the name? Know for sure ping is allowed because i tried to ping on my side and it works.

1 Reply 1

pjain2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

during the time she is not able to resolve the name to an ip address, ask her to take wireshark captures on the machine and check if the dns request is going out and is a reply being received. compare it to a working scenario then.