Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS 12.3(10)

adeolu_adeoye
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know if IOS 12.3(10) supports the new WIC-4ESW (Cisco 1700 series)? I have some problems using this card with my current image and 12.3(10)T was recommended to me. However, this requires more RAM and Flash than I have on my router. This is a spoke router in an IPSec VPN environment.

IOS 12.3(10) fits but I wanted to be sure that it supports this card as not all versions of 12.3 can recognise it.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Ade

1 Reply 1

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

12.3(10) will not recognise this card (actually I haven't tested it, but I'd be very surprised if it did).

The WIC-4ESW support first came in in 12.3(8)T, meaning it will not be in mainline code until 12.4(x).

Keep in mind that mainline code only gets bug fixes, and very few new features, this is done so that it's fairly stable. All the new features (like support for a new WIC) go into T train, and the T train code is then made into the next release of mainline. For example, the 12.2T last version became the first 12.3 mainline version (with a number of bug fixes also, but you get the idea). The last 12.3T version will become the 12.4 mainline, and so on.