Views
Helpful
Replies

IPsec Configuration Cisco ASR920

Amos Kafwembe
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all,

I am trying to set up an IPsec VPN on my Cisco ASR920. I found a sample config on the cisco site but one thing I note is that there is no acl to identify interesting traffic in the configuration. how do I capture interesting traffic and send it via the IPsec tunnel with this sample config provided by Cisco?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/sec_vpn/sec-ipsec-xe-3s-book-920/overview_of_ipsec.html

3 Replies 3

Hi,

In this example you provided it uses a VTI (virtual tunnel interface) and does not require and ACL to define interesting traffic. To send encrypted traffic accross the VPN tunnel you just need to route the traffic, either a static route or using a routing protocol.

From the example in the link you provided:

ip route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 tunnel504

Therefore 192.168.20.0/24 is the remote subnet which would be encrypted and routed over the VTI, obviously a return route needs to be applied on the other device.

HTH

Hi RJI,

Is this secure? also, do you have any sample config on achieving this without tunnel mode?

Hi,

Yes it is secure, it's still an IPSec VPN it just uses a VTI rather than a crypto map. I personally prefer using a VTI over a crypto map.

Example of Crypto Map on Cisco router

HTH