Views
Helpful
Replies

Long Reach (Overseas) VPN Design Issues

MATT HILL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client is a large manufacturing corporation with National HQ in Australia, and Global HQ is in Japan. The Japanese proposal is a 1MB FR link from Australia to Japan. This will cost nearly $500k AU/yr.

We currently have a 2MB Internet connection, and I would like to use it (or possibly upgrade it further) and use a VPN, as this would be considerably cheaper.

We still need the 1MB throughput to Japan, but if we can do so with a relatively cheap VPN, that would be a lot better than the FR link. We are getting new PIX 515s, and we already have a 3660 here. I think a VPN AIM for 3660 and a higher speed internet connection would be our best option.

Has anyone who has used a similar implementation before, had any serious latency issues? Is it possible to get 1MB throughput through such a VPN?

Thanks,

Matt

2 Replies 2

0s-pudipeddi
Level 1
Level 1

I have just set up a VPN link between Tokyo and

Darwin (Australia) and is working fine. The through put is not an issue here and as such we did not make any measurements.

That makes me feel so much better tanks!

What network hardware are you using? What are your internet speeds at each location? Does one site serve as a central point for other sites, which may consume bandwidth at one end?