cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mandrake 9.0 Dolphin and VPN Client 3.6.1

bjarrett
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone gotten the VPN Client 3.6.1 to work successfully under the newest version of Mandrake? I got it to install last night after linking /bin/id to /usr/bin/id. It installs fine, but hangs upon "Initializing the VPN Connection". Are there any known issues with the client and kernel 2.4.19 or gcc 3.2?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Jarrett

4 Replies 4

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

I could not locate any known problem in the release notes. May be you can go through it again.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/3_6/361_clnt.htm

Found a semi-answer to my problem on the Red Hat Mailing List. It is a problem because the kernel was compiled with gcc 3.2 and the shared libraries and binaries are not. Maybe Cisco should start looking into recompiling their client with gcc 3.2, since Mandrake and Redhat are already using as of their latest releases, and SuSE is supposed to be following soon (probably followed by more distros, but those are the only 3 I keep on). The mailing list refered to above can be found at:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/limbo/msg04452.html

Bill Jarrett

darrenchew
Level 1
Level 1

No, apparently "This is known to not work." I'm using Redhat 8.0 (psyche) and the Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1 for Linux. There is a 3.6.2 version of the client for the other operating systems but not Linux. Hopefully Cisco will recompile their shared libraries and binaries with gcc 3.2 in the next release.

Below is a copy of the output I get when I try to start the vpn client.

Regards,

Darren

[root@psyche-01 vpnclient]# /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start

Starting /usr/local/bin/vpnclient: /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec:

The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec)

is compiled with a gcc

version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with

a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

Failed (insmod)

Has anyone had any luck since? Cisco have released version 3.6.2A of the VPN client which I believe solves the problem.

Regards,

Darren