cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi Context VPN Resource Management

neteng2323
Level 1
Level 1

Our shop does not utilize many Anyconnect sessions, or S2S VPN tunnels.  However, we do have an ASA running in Multi Context mode that we will be utilizing for these 2 functions.  My question is pretty basic, in that I know by default VPN resources are disabled, and require a resource class to be setup.  We have 20K Anyconnect Peers, and 20K VPN Other (s2s) license available.  We will be creating 5 different contexts for our various s2s, and anyconnect function. Some will be used for s2s and some anyconnect.  Should I create one big resource class and make each context a member, or break it up into Anyconnect, and S2S resouce classes?  If I create one big class, will each context basically share the resources of that class?  Do the classes have to divide up the resources to the total of licenses?

When I say we don't utilize these services much, I mean we won't even be touching 100-200 Anyconnect sessions, or s2s tunnels across all contexts combined, much less 20K.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

neteng2323
Level 1
Level 1

Found my answer for the most part.  Basically, you just can't exceed the appliance limitation, or license limit when you allocate a resource class to a context. SO if you are licensed for 5000 Anyconnect peers, and create class anyconnect with a limit of 2500, you can only apply that to 2 contexts.  VPN bursts can be used for oversubscription and sharing between contexts but not Anyconnect, or VPN other resources.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa95/configuration/general/asa-95-general-config/ha-contexts.html#ID-2171-000001d3

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

neteng2323
Level 1
Level 1

Found my answer for the most part.  Basically, you just can't exceed the appliance limitation, or license limit when you allocate a resource class to a context. SO if you are licensed for 5000 Anyconnect peers, and create class anyconnect with a limit of 2500, you can only apply that to 2 contexts.  VPN bursts can be used for oversubscription and sharing between contexts but not Anyconnect, or VPN other resources.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa95/configuration/general/asa-95-general-config/ha-contexts.html#ID-2171-000001d3

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: