Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple peers Crypto Map Issue

CyberEdge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I run to an issue with GRE over IPSec, Same GRE tunnel configuration on (Prod & DR stite) different IPSec peers

we are not using the tunnel source as IPsec peer, the customer configure 2 crypto map entries for our 2 peers, the IPsec to our Prod site worked successfully, when i shutdown the Tunnel at Prod site, and unshut the tunnel at the DR site, IPsec not formed and Tunnel is up down. i tired to clear P1 P2 session, but to worked

Note: P1 is up to our IPSec peers, it should be UP for 1 peer only.

for customer perspective he sees us as one site.

crypto map MAP_A 10 ipsec-isakmp
set peer 10.10.10.253
set transform-set Sky_TS
match address Sky_ACL
 !
crypto map MAP_B 15 ipsec-isakmp
set peer 10.10.10.254
set transform-set Sky_TS
match address Sky_ACL
!

But with below configs, (multiple peers in the same crypto map),  i switched back and forth the IPSEC worked, any idea?

set peer 10.10.10.253
set peer 10.10.10.254
set transform-set Sky_TS
match address Sky_ACL

IPSec.png

3 Replies 3

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have different GRE tunnel interfaces for prod and DR tunnels? If that is the case, the ACL "Sky_ACL" should be different on the crypto map. Since you have the same ACL configured, the router will only try to establish a IPsec tunnel to the first peer (first match rule). You should ideally have 2 different and unique ACL's (plus add some dynamic routing) if you want to achieve failover. 

Hi Rahul

we have identical configs on both sites but different IPsec Peers, from the customer perspective he sees us as one site, i was wondering why this configs works:

2 peers in one crypto map

2 Peers would work because you have only 1 crypto map entry, hence the traffic can only match that crypto map entry. When you have 2 crypto map entries, it matches crypto entries one by one. So it will always match sequence 1. As mentioned before, if you want to build 2 separate tunnels, keep the crypto ACL's unique so that it not conflict with each other. 

Since you are using GRE tunnels, you can have 2 different tunnel interfaces where the tunnel source and destination combination is unique. For example:

int Tunnel1

tunnel source <ISP interface>

tunnel destination 10.10.10.253

int Tunnel 2

tunnel source <ISP interface>

tunnel destination 10.10.10.254

access-list Sky_ACL1 permit gre <isp interface> 10.10.10.253

access-list Sky_ACL2 permit gre <isp interface> 10.10.10.254

set peer 10.10.10.253
set transform-set Sky_TS 
match address Sky_ACL1
 !
crypto map MAP_B 15 ipsec-isakmp 
set peer 10.10.10.254
set transform-set Sky_TS 
match address Sky_ACL2

You can then send routing protocol through Tunnel 1 and 2 with the right metrics  to prefer Tunnel1 to Primary site.